Immigrant Rights: From Massachusetts to Arizona
[Click here for PDF about this workshops to post in your congregation.]
As you may know, the UUA’s General Assembly will be different this year. Have you wondered what it will be like? Have you wondered why the Unitarian Universalists all over the country are working on immigrant rights work? Have you wanted to connect to immigrant rights work right here in Massachusetts?
UUA President Peter Morales has said that immigrant rights are the civil rights issue of our time, but it is not always clear how it affects Massachusetts Unitarian Universalists. The reality is that immigration is very much an issue for us here in Massachusetts as evident from
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Secure Community program which is driving a wedge between immigrants and our local police departments which makes us all unsafe
- our children's school friends denied a college education because they happened to be brought to this country as children and do not have proper documentation.
This justice issue is being taken up by Unitarian Universalist activist across the country and will be the focus of this year’s UUA General Assembly.
To get ready for this year's General Assembly, we are partnering with UUMass Action in hosting a series of workshops across the state. Not only will this series let UUs in Massachusetts learn more about Justice G.A., it will also launch a statewide immigrant’s rights campaign in this state.
At each workshop, participants will
- watch the Frontline Documentary Lost in Detention, which paints a stark picture of what happens to individuals and families caught up in our country's unfair immigration policies. The film was produced by Maria Hinojosa who will be the Ware Lecturer at GA this year.
- be briefed by local immigrant rights workers about immigrant needs and concerns right here in Massachusetts
- learn more about what will be happening at Justice G.A. in Phoenix
- strategize about how to stand on the side of love with immigrants in Massachusetts
Click here to register for the date of your choice.
- February 12, 12pm to 2:30 pm: Unitarian Universalist Society of Amherst, 121 North Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA (Directions)
- March 3, 10am to 1pm: Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading, 239 Woburn Street, Reading, MA 01867 (Directions)
- March 10, 9am to 12pm: First Parish Church Duxbury, 842 Tremont St. (Rte. 3A), Duxbury, MA 02331 (Directions)
- March 17, 10am to 1pm: First Unitarian Church Worcester, 90 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01608 (Directions)
- March 25, 3pm to 6pm: Bernardston Unitarian Church, Church Street (Route 10), Bernardston, MA 01337 (Directions)
- March 28, 7 to 9pm: First Parish Milton, 535 Canton Avenue. Milton MA 02186 (Directions)
- March 31, 9am to 12pm: First Parish Cambridge, 3 Church Street, Cambridge, MA 02138 (Directions)
A freewill offering will be collected at each event to support organizations working for immigrant rights.
This series is co-sponsored with UU Mass Action.
- Contact us
- Join Our Mailing List
- About CBD
- About MBD
- Programs / Trainings
- Justice Ministries
- Workshop Presentation Materials
- Sabbatical / Ministerial Leave Pulpit Supply
- District Library
- General Interest
- District Chapters of AUUA, UUMA, LREDA, UUMN
- About UUism
- Transitions & Employment